Monday, April 27, 2009

The end of one journey, the beginning of the next...

Hello from afar!

I am now in Pemba!  It was a long journey and I am glad to finally be here.  I have been resting a lot, allowing my brain to catch up to my body.  It is VERY hot.  Even the people that have been here for years live in a constant state of sweat.  Of course, I know that ladies don’t sweat, they glow... I have been GLOWING BUCKETS!!!  I arrived in with one piece... I started with 2 pieces of checked luggage.  The heavy one (70lbs) arrived, he light one (50 lbs) did not.  I am amazed by this circumstance because I did things differently and because of a few good God ideas along the way, I am not stressed at all about this missing bag!  I packed equal amounts of clothing in each of my bags, including my carry on, so I have 2/3rds of my clothes!  I was planning on buying a brand new back pack before I left but a friend gave me her old one instead (saving lots of $$$)... If it was a new back pack missing I would be anxious but because I did not spend the money I am at peace!!  While I was in YVR I randomly bought deodorant... so weird for me... the most important thing in the missing bag is my toiletry bag.  I am amazed because I have everything that I need.  A friend here is in charge of donations left behind by visitors so she hooked me up with flip flops, shampoo, and a new toothbrush.  All these simple things make me smile!!

Since I have been here I have chased several canine sized cockroaches out of my room, my house, three different bathrooms, and one from inside my bug net.  I might stop chasing them and just start naming them... I might look for some cockroach leashes in town so that I can take my new pets for walks!  Other than more bugs than I remember, I am settling in very well.  I love catching up with old friends and hugging kids all day long.  I have yet to take many pictures since I have been here but I have cleaned my new house... the water was the colour of mud and almost as thick!

I am still adjusting but I absolutely love being here!!!! I will write more interesting blogs to come but I think that my brain might be in that missing bag... or it melted in the heat... or a cockroach ate it while I was sleeping J

Thanks for reading this little update!

Until next time, Candace

PS  Here are a couple of pictures from my travel... my travelling buddy is named Cheeky and she proved to be a lot of fun!!!



1 comment:

kim said...

Dear Cheeky,
Please take care of Candace, and especially protect her from cockroaches. Since you are smaller, maybe you can be like a decoy and they can bother you instead. Either that or...you could name them. I have a feeling you may have to do the latter after all.
Please give Candace a huge hug from me and know that I look forward to meeting you in about 4 months.
love kim