Saturday, June 30, 2007

10 Weird Happenings that are Normal Here



(pictures on the left: a random african clothin store; A car went through the wall and into our water storage closet)

As I sat and enjoyed breakfast this morning I realized that I noticed a lot of things here that just don't even cross my mind at home. Here is a small selections of these weird things:
2) I put on my flip flops first thing in the morning, before even going to the bathroom or getting dressed.
3) I average 1 shower a week and have discovered that the other 160 people that are here also average 1 shower a week!
4) The application of deoderant is forgotten 7/8ths of the time (and no one notices)
5) I dip my breakfast bun into my jar of peanut butter because it seems safer and cleaner than using the knife!!
6) As a group we talk about bathroom adventures at every meal!!!
7) As a house we have leg shaving parties where we all gather aroung the same bucket... (group leg shaving is just not normal)
8) I have a small celebration everytime the running water runs (it means that I can shower and flush all the toilets)
9) I brought with me a lot of clothes and I have found that I am only wearing 2 outfits because doing laundry by hand is unfun
10) I don't even notice the fact that the women next to me are breastfeeding while walking and talking
11) I have noticed that even when one does not have bowel issues, they still celebrate after every 'movement'
12) Nothing here starts or ends on time (hence the numbering)

Also I want to introduce you all to my friend Walt...

... he is a ring worm that has taken up residence on my right cheek... (ring worm is actually a fungus not a worm)... I named him so that when he succefully dies, I know what to write on his tombstone... No peace for walt the wormy, you must DIE


One last thing that is not normal here but I am not complaining:
I have been here for 4 weeks and I have lost 20 pounds without being sick or changing my diet or being more active than normal.... Plain old amazing and I love it!!!!

Blessings and an abundance of laughter
Candace

OH ya... I LOVE IT HERE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Candace! Sounds like your having a blast, I will pray for you, all the best

Love Alan from Scotland x

Anonymous said...

Hi Candace! Found your blog through facebook...I love a good blog :) Wow, you are so great to be doing this adventure! I hope you blog often because if you don't mind, you're blog is now on my faves list :) Glad to hear things are going well, I often think about you since you left Nova Scotia. God bless you!
Jenn Slauenwhite

Anonymous said...

Hey Candace, I am so glad that you are having such a wonderful time. So, can you guess where I am blogging you from???? I'll give you 3 guesses!!!! From Auntie Dales, yes we have finally arrived on the west coast! I am so happy that you are having a blast lovin' the kids, I also can't wait for you to come home and show me around!!! (SORRY, I know you love it there!) I love you lots, be safe, and may God show His love through you to the unsaved! Marina