Monday, June 4, 2007

A world away but NEVER forgotten

Wonderful News: I have arrived Safely, without having to pay outrageous over weight fees in Johannesburg.
Great News: The water is back on!!!!
Breaking News: I forgot how hot it is in Africa☹, and how warm the Indian ocean is☺
Other News: I am so happy to be back here in Pemba. I was made for this!!! There are about 500 children milling around the center and I am in a stuffy room trying to get some admin done for the upcoming missions school....
Okay that is better, I just ran out to get a few hugs and practice my Portuguese... (I LOVE THESE BABIES)
So much has happened in the last couple of days since my arrival but I will try to be brief. I tried counting how many children I hugged in the first 48 hours but lost count around 30 a few hours after arriving. I have already started band-aiding cuts and scrapes and have had the opportunity to check out a funky fungus growing on another staff member. I have now reacquainted myself with the center here. I live on center 2 which is the bigger of the two bases here in Pemba. When I was gone a bunch of new houses and offices have been built. (a whole truck load of children just pulled in singing as they go... amazing... I missed this)... sorry, back on track... A building for the sewing school has been built and offices for the mozambican staff as well as a prayer orchard which is a giant gazebo with fruit trees all around.
Enough about buildings!!! One quick story and then on with my day... I find great peace while walking the beach with a friend as the sun sets (around 4:30-5:30). Yesterday as we were walking we were joined by some precious street kids who laughed and practiced their English on us. On our journey we also ran into some older boys that I spent time with last year and ended up buying goods from at the end of the summer. As we wondered toward these older boys they came running towards us calling out... “Candy my friend, I have not forgotten you... you come back to mozambique... how long you here” It has been NINE months since I have seen these boys and thousands of other westerners have been through this city... I was more than amazed and honoured that they would remember me.
I have a better idea of my responsibilities now but I have run out of time so I will tell you later... I will be uploading some pictures within the next week. It looks as though I will have more access than I thought (at least for now).

Blessings and Peace
Candace in AFRICA (it just feels right)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Awe, thats The Sweetest thing Cheech... Brought a Tear to my eye

tred said...

Candy my friend!! Who could ever forget you? I know I never will. Welcome home ;)

Anonymous said...

Candy , My Niece :)....So cool !

Anonymous said...

so happy to hear you have arrived safely..every plane my kids see they are convinced its you going to africa ;) Brads baby arrived. I am an aunt ! to Zoey.all is well here. keep up the happy hugging Isaiah 41:10

Anonymous said...

Candace. When you speak of your experience in Africa it gives ME goosebumps. I'm oh so happy you have found what you are meant to do. You are an inspiration to me. I hope that one day I will be able to join you there. Thank you for doing what you do and for having such an amazingly big heart! Love you....Caroline!!!

Skinny Jean said...

You're amazing! such an inspiration to us all! I love you and miss you so much. Can you email me Hamish's email address? I ran into him at church and want to keep in touch with him over the summer. Sorry I never got to see you at the ferry terminal! That was a gong show. Ill tell you about it when we have our 3 year catch up convo. <3 <3 <3

Anonymous said...

Candace!!! I am so happy for you. I know that you are going to change lives while you are there. It is so neat that you already have stories of the impact you have made!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are loving it there so much. You always told me that you wanted to fit and youseem to there so I finally understand and am very happy for you.I miss you like crazy right now and jsut about picked up the phone to call you tonight. Hope that you continue to have a great time and stay safe please! love you tons and heres a over the net hug for you from me.
ray ray