Sunday, June 10, 2007

6 hours, 23 people, one truck... Among other things


Salaama, boa noite, Hello friends,
This Past weekend I had the pleasure of leading a team of missions school students (along with some visitors) on an overnight outreach. For many people this is a trying and stretching time, for me it is like a retreat and i love it!!! I would love to tell you all every little detail but there just won't be time for that.
What is outreach you ask???
Outreach is a two night camping trip into villages with the main purpose of sharing the gospel of Jesus and the truth and freedom that that brings.
Let me tell you a bit about this outreach that I got to go on. We travelled for over six hours in the back of an open 3 ton pick up truck... wait that sounds comfy... 23 hot sweaty people, sound equipment with 3 large speakers and lights, 23 peoples tents and belongings, food for 23 people and all the kitchen supplies... crammed into a truck that would be much nicer with 15 people on a short trip to town. The adventure started well on a paved raod with lines and signs and other traffic... after 2 hours we found a suitably bumpy road with sufficient potholes to keep us all awake. This road just got thinner and thinner until I think that we may have been on more of a path than a road. This road had many surprises beyond the bumps and hills and sharp corners. A couple of hours in, we stopped for a much needed bathroom break. (this is nice and simple with for those of the male gender... for the rest of us it is quite an ordeal) WARNING: this may get graphic and may not be suitable for all readers. I led the women in a small group of about 8 down the road away from the men. 2 women held up a wrap around skirt when the other 6 decided to be relieved (all at once of course, just not enough time for privacy in Africa)... while patiently squatting and peering down the road we had the oppertunity to see about 6 or 8 baboons cross the road. Due to the cirrcumstance no one was able to get a picture but it was cool.
After a flat tire and a quick snack while waiting for repairs and about another hour or more we arrived at the village. I quickly found some kids to play with and a couple of babies to hold. I have more stories but I am falling asleep. In two words or less(ish) here are some of the other things that happened:
Sound failed
prayed anyway
Ate
slept in a schoolhouse (in tents)
woke up
ate
packed up(ish)
played
Killed a goat (well, watched)
walked village
prayed
Ate Goat
played more
stickered foreheads
sat cuddling
INJURY (skinned knee while playing duck duck goose)
band-aided for a while
Set up sound
prayed
sick healed
ate more goat
re set up tents
slept
Ate
prayed
felt leg muscle grow while praying
watched cripple lady walk,
then run,
then dance
Packed up
6 hour bumpy ride home
saw more babboons
got home
went swimming (indian ocean)
updated blog
went to bed!!
Blessings
Candace
(did I mention that I LOVE IT HERE???)

4 comments:

Skinny Jean said...

OOoomigosh I love you! That is AMAZING! God is so crazy! I want to come there!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bear,
I feel like I'm almost there with you.....What a beautiful update keep them coming All our prayers are with you ...
Love You Aunty Dale

Anonymous said...

Atta girl!!!

Unknown said...

Aww Candice I miss you but am soooo excited to see God using in the place you love. Blessings as you continue to trust in His guidance and lean on His strength!
I am leaving for Latvia July 2nd and am getting excited! I won't be able to meet you in London since I am flying Amsterdam...bummer deal. It would have been fun. Anyways I love you and am thinking about you!