Saturday, June 23, 2007

Chaocity of Everyday Life in the DIrt


Today is Saturday and I am amazed that it is already June 23. I am equally amazed that I have not even been here for 4 weeks yet. It feels like months have past. The past sentences are totally opposites but both equally true. How can I sum up the past week? It has been chaotic and wonderful. I wish that I could describe what busy is like here… hurry up and wait and then get confused and lost in translation and then go back to square one and try again with hurrying and waiting and miscommunicating. What an adventure!!
I seem to be growing leaps and bounds every week, at the same time my body seems to be getting smaller (or my clothes are getting bigger). This week I seem to have grown a lot in relationships (no, not with anyone in particular). I am learning way more about missions and about life this year. It is truly all about relationship and about sharing your story. I have learned so much from people just by listening to their stories.
Speaking of relationships, I have the privilege to be a dorm parent this year. Let me introduce my roommates to you. Starting with the youngest, Brandi-lin is 19 years old. She is from New York State and happens to be the grand daughter of one of the men that founded ‘teen challenge’. On the bunk below her is Bec, a 29 year old accountant from Australia who lives in England. On top of the next bunk is Kat, 22 a nurse from North Carolina (how convenient). Below her is Deane. Deane is 60 and from Virginia. Every single one of these wonderful women have amazing lives and amazing stories and it is an honour for me to get to live with them. They are all so sweet and encouraging and I am learning what love looks like through them.
The five of us live in the third room in a row of dorms. The three rooms total 15 women and we all get to share one washroom (3 toilets and 3 showers, if all are working) and one kitchen. Life is truly an adventure. I will tell you one story and post some pictures and then I must go swimming!!
When I was here last year, my heart grew a special spot for a wonderful little village boy. Karimu is about 9 or ten and when I met him he liked to hit, kick, and beat others just for fun. One day he came and hit me, and that just stole my heart. I chased him down and grabbed him and hugged him, he wiggled and squirmed and then he fell asleep. All summer I would love him and hold him and love him some more. A couple of weeks ago he found me again. He ran up to me, this time not hit me but to throw his little body into my arms. He has improved even more in the past year. Last year he barely spoke at all and did not understand Portuguese let alone English. Last week(ish) as I was walking to my kitchen with my breakfast bun, he ran up beside me, grabbed my hand, and said in perfect English ‘give me your bun’… my heart melted, Karimu could understand me!!! Of course I did not give him my bun and allow him to beg but I did hug him and squeeze him and told him I would share my lunch with him later that same day.
Everyday that I am here I am convinced more and more that I belong exactly where I am!!!!!
Blessings and Peace be upon you...
Candace

PICTURES:
1) (at the top) Sunset of the WEEK
2) Where's Whitey???
3) This is me and my buddy Fred the big BUG
4) Cute boy wearing my tilly hat
5&6) a couple of Beautiful Makua women and their Babies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Candace....I,m blown away!
I love reading about your life and love lessons.
And the pics are the best.
Love you lots,

Uncle David

Anonymous said...

Candy poo!!! It was so nice to talk to you and to hear your voice and laugh! I love the pics that you put up...you look so happy and healthy (which makes me smile). I'm glad that you are so happy being there. Lots of hugs and kisses...ray ray
p.s. you can see the weight loss!